I'm sure you've heard "Earth Day" thrown around a lot the past couple of weeks, so what is Earth Day? Earth Day takes place every year; its purpose is to raise awareness about environmental issues, and the importance of protecting our planet. It is celebrated on April 22nd each year, and in addition to encouraging people to take steps towards helping the planet, it is also a time to celebrate the achievements of the environmental movement.
The theme for this year is ‘Invest In Our Planet’ encouraging everyone to think about their environmental impact, and do what they can to help. So what can you do to help?
Firstly, if you’ve found your way to this blog, you’re likely a parent or grandparent. One of the most important things that you can do, is to teach the children in your life the value of protecting this planet we call home. Depending on their age(s) this could be through books, conversations, activities, or be including them in the things I’m going to list below.
Back to things you can do, these are some things you can do to “Invest In Our Planet" you may already be doing some, and that's amazing, hopefully you can find something on the list that you don't alreay do.
- Use a reusable water bottle
- Turn off the lights in your home when not in use
- Stop using pesticides in your yard
- Use environmentally-friendly cleaning supplies
- Compost your food and yard scraps
- Switch to bar shampoo/conditioner/bodywash
- Give cloth diapers a go
- Use reusable grocery bags
- Shop pre-loved
- Eat a plant-based meal
- Go for a walk and pick up the trash you see
- Grow something
- Lower your aircon (or open the windows to cool your home if it isn’t too hot)
- Participate in your local buy-nothing program
- Recycle household items
- Use cloth wipes
If you follow me on Instagram you’ll have seen me share some more insight into why these changes benefit our planet. I plan to create some more in-depth blog posts about this soon, so stay tuned for them!
If you’re looking for some good books about our planet to read to your kids here are a some of our favorites:
I hope you found this post helpful, and good luck with making your changes!